Kitchens and bathrooms. That’s what sells a home. But how about giving a little attention to another room in your house where you are likely to spend ample amount of time, regardless of whether or not you relish the chores relinquished to that particular area of your home?
To what room am I referring?
Duh! Duh! Duh! The often overlooked laundry room, of course!
Whether you have banished your washer and dryer to the basement, garage, or utility closet, let’s face it. There will always be clothes to wash, dry, fold, and iron. So why not create a space that is both inviting and functional?
Check out a couple of ideas for maximizing storage and refreshing the look of your small laundry space.
- Go vertical with a stackable washer and dryer.
- Narrow shelving can help organize cleaning products.
- Consider mounting wire shelving behind the door or hanging totes for additional storage.
- Install cedar planking to help repel insects that like damp, dark places like silverfish or cockroaches. Cedar also repels moths, which can leave holes in natural fabrics like wool, cotton and silks. Furthermore, cedar resists mildew and will leave the space with a pleasing aroma.
Small Laundry Room
- Purchase/make pedestals for your front-loading washer and dryer to store additional items below and save your back from bending over to load and unload the machines.
- Counters can provide much-needed space for folding clothes. However, you can inexpensively create a counter from wood cut to fit the space above your front-loading washer and dryer. Stain the wood a rich color to give it a more luxurious look.
- Pull-down drying racks and ironing boards are functional and save space.
- Shelving above your washer and dryer provides a space to store cleaning products and more. To keep the space even tidier, try using colorful baskets or clear jars.
- Personalized laundry baskets help separate each family member’s clothes.
- Don’t forget your cedar planking for all of the reasons listed previously.
Basement/Garage Laundry Space
- A cheery rug will help brighten up the space.
- An adjustable mount wire shelving kit can help you customize shelving to suit your storage needs and provide a space for clothes to hang.
- Lightweight laundry totes sorted by family member or clothing type (i.e. darks, whites, delicates, etc.) are essential for carrying laundry up and down the stairs.
- A small card table is a great fix for folding clothes. You can even give the table a little pizazz by adding a fabric table skirt.
- And don’t forget aromatic cedar planks or panels for finished walls!
Hope you have loads of fun in your newly redone laundry space!